My Photo
Name:
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States

Not content with the ordinary. Searching for the supernatural.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Swaziland Nov. 22, 2005

I have a prayer request. Tonight I was asked to pray about going to Africa for the month of July. Yes, the entire month. We would be going to Swaziland to help set the stage for building orphanages and hopefully get Compassion International into the area. I was asked not only to go, but to be on the planning committee. (This may have something to do with my Compassion link.)
You can imagine that there are about a lot of reasons why this would be difficult to do - most of them green. But if this is part of what God wants for me, He will provide.
Please pray with me on this. They tease me because I am already on Hydroxychloriquine for my Lupus and that is an anti-malaria med. Heidi says my body is already prepared to go. (Then she tells me about the other shots I would have to get.)
We have not nailed down the specifics of what we would be doing in Swaziland, although the pastor we would be working with did email us some ideas to begin with. I think Heidi is wanting me to work with logistics involving Compassion International preparation and child evangelism through music, drama and puppets.
As you know, I have a heart for those touched by HIV and AIDS and this is an area that has been devestated by this disease. I know it is hard to believe, but there are families there that are being run by 6 and 7 year old children because the adults in their families have been killed off by AIDS. Some of these children are infected themselves and some are not.
I have also been asked to help out with building orphanages in Thailand. Somehow, someone, somewhere got it into their head that I would be good with orphanages. I have had three different people, representing three different orphanage projects approach me in the past year.
I have longed to do this kind of work for a long time but honestly, I am a bit afraid of how I would make a living. How do I pay for medical insurance and rent if I am off on Mission Trips? Isn't it a bummer to "grow up" and realize that you have to somehow find the balance between following your heart and responsibility?! :-)
As I look over this list, I see people who represent all the major stages of my life; childhood, college, Kansas City life, Iowa life and Hawaii life. Most, if not all, have become family along the way. (Okay, those of you who are really lucky where stuck with me as family when I was born!) Please pray with me for this now - and for my parents who may be going into panic attacks as they read this letter. :-)
I will send out an update soon.
Love,
Jeannie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home