My Photo
Name:
Location: Council Bluffs, Iowa, United States

Not content with the ordinary. Searching for the supernatural.

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Swazi Update

We were sent home from the worksite today because the cement needs more time to dry before they can start constructing the walls. Our vocational training team has now visited each classroom to teach hygiene. I did the initial training with our group on Sunday night. Next time we should probably train the team on these things before we come to the actual mission field. I was surprised at how many questions people had.
The classes went well according to the reports I received. Even the teachers even learned a few things. The science teacher asked, "You mean we have to use soap and not only water?" Yes, I did say the science teacher. I was glad we taught the class.
Today I did my first HIV teaching. I met with the Community Health Educators and some of the neighborhood women. A few men also showed up for the meeting which surprised me because up to this point only women have come to the classes we have offered during the day. I wasn't sure what they already knew and wanted to be careful to show respect while I taught them. Thankfully, Brenda showed up to interpret for me. I explained what HIV was and why you get sick when you have it. We talked a little bit about how it is spread and how important it is to keep yourself away from sickness if you have it. Most of their questions surrounded the medicines and how they work. A few of them asked things like, "Can you get it from kissing? Can you get it from tears?" I don't know how much new information I gave them, but they thanked me when I was finished. I was a little surprised that no one asked me questions about sexual transmission, but then again, it was a group of about 25 people so it may not have been a comfortable situation.
Yesterday, before I had to go back to the campground and play nurse, we visited a couple of schools to learn about the orphans and see how Advocates for Africa's Children might be able to help. The first school we visited was almost all orphans. A pastor and his wife have been running the school by faith, trusting that God will provide the money when it is required. We took pictures of the orphan children and are hoping to be able to find some people who will sponsor the children - or a class - or the school. :-)
The problem of orphans here is overwhelming. People's homes are full and there are still children with no home.
The one thing I have not had a lot of opportunity to do is pray with the people of Swaziland. I was blessed to address some encouraging words to a gathering of Pastors which was well received. But I long to pray individually with the people. With 6 of our team already falling sick, I have had plenty of opportunity to pray with them, however! :-)
The internet cafe is getting full and I need to get moving anyway. Thanks for your emails. I will update you all with more information soon.
By the way, I am putting all of these emails on my website as well. www.jeanniehughes.com


--
Be Blessed,
Jeannie

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home